Because you have satisfied me, God, I promise to do everything you say. I beg you from the bottom of my heart: smile, be gracious to me just as you promised. When I took a long, careful look at your ways, I got my feet back on the trail you blazed. I was up at once, didn’t drag my feet, was quick to follow your orders. The wicked hemmed me in—there was no way out— but not for a minute did I forget your plan for me. I get up in the middle of the night to thank you; your decisions are so right, so true—I can’t wait till morning! I’m a friend and companion of all who fear you, of those committed to living by your rules. Your love, God , fills the earth! Train me to live by your counsel.
Psalm 119:57-64 MSG
Ten things this passage says-
- The Lord is my portion.
- His favor should be sought with my whole heart.
- He is gracious, and His word is gracious.
- If my ways do not line up with His word, I should change until they do.
- Obedience should be swift and without delay.
- Trials and attacks should not make me forget His word.
- He is worthy of praise even in the darkest part of the night.
- My friends should fear the Lord and keep His precepts.
- The earth is full of the lovingkindness of the Lord.
- He is my teacher.
In the words of Fernando Ortega.….. “Just give me Jesus”!
Ten things this passage does NOT say-
- I need things outside of the Lord.
- All that He has given me should not earn my obedience to Him.
- God is satisfied with my half-hearted seeking of Him.
- His word is ungracious, or his character is ever anything but gracious.
- When I see that my ways are not in line with Scripture, there is no need to change.
- As long as I obey eventually, or have good intentions, it’s okay.
- When trials come and the enemy attacks, I should turn to my own methods.
- It’s okay for worry and fear to dominate my night time hours.
- I should be unified with those who follow the ways of the world.
- It is hard to see God’s lovingkindness here on the earth, it is so rare.
In the words of Fernando Ortega……. “Just give me Jesus”! and
“I need thee every hour my Lord”!